Cytopathology and Small Biopsy Updates
presented by Houston Methodist Hospital
3 others would like to attend.
6670 Bertner Avenue John F. Bookout Auditorium, 2nd Floor Houston, TX 77030 United States
Physicians and cytologists need the most up-to-date knowledge and strategies in pathology and cytopathology to provide the most appropriate ancillary testing for guiding patient management. With the current update, attendees will learn about the various new evidence-based reporting terminologies or updates to previously existing ones. This will enable them to assess the patient’s risk of malignancy, specifically regarding findings in thyroid, salivary, pancreas, biliary tract, and respiratory tract. By understanding these new site-specific reporting systems, attendees will know the risk of malignancy associated with each reporting category and appropriate ancillary testing and, therefore, better guide management of patients. The World Health Organization, under the guidance of the International Academy of Cytology, and other organizations is currently in the process of publishing cytology reporting terminologies across a broad spectrum of sites. Update and status reports on these will be provided. Additionally, digital cytology and whole slide imaging is the next big thing. A lecture, as to how they apply specifically to cytologic and small specimens will be presented. The status of whole slide imaging in the United States and around the world will be presented. Patient safety issues, updates to HPV testing, head and neck cancers, respiratory tract EBVs and molecular testing, cellblocks, and Rapid On-site Evaluation will be presented. Other new developments in the field that will impact patient care in the future will also be discussed.
In-Person and Virtual attendance options are available.
Pathologists; residents and fellows; cytologists, subspecialty physicians e.g. endocrinologists, endocrine surgeons, head and neck surgeons and their residents; and cytotechnology students
- Describe the diagnosis, molecular testing and management of thyroid, salivary, pancreas and biliary tract lesions (to include spy glass biopsies)
- Discuss the updates to the Cytopathology reporting systems (Thyroid Bethesda, Salivary Milan and Pancreaticobiliary WHO).
- Describe other reporting systems in development and the risk of malignancy associated with the various reporting categories, as well as new ancillary testing options.
- Explain how the risk of malignancy in reporting terminology is calculated and affected by the updates
- Discuss updates to respiratory tract testing guidelines
- Explain the various whole slide imaging systems as they apply to the practice of pathology and cytopathology
- Apply appropriate molecular testing to small specimens for optimal patient management
- Explain the role of HPV testing in head and neck cancer.
- Discuss patient safety issues.
- Describe various cell block methodologies
- Explain how Rapid Onset Evaluation using telecytology is performed at Houston Methodist Hospital
- 9.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
Houston Methodist is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Houston Methodist designates this Live activity for a maximum of 9.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 9.00 Attendance
Fore more information please visit the official event page.
3 others would like to attend.